To Report Abuse contact the Division for Children, Youth & Families or your local police. DCYF: To report child abuse or neglect, (800) 894-5533 or (603) 271-6562.
What do I do if I suspect child abuse or neglect?
NH Law requires any person who suspects that a child under age 18 has been abused or neglected must report that suspicion immediately to DCYF. (New Hampshire RSA 169-C:29-31)
- If a child tells you that he or she has been hurt or you are concerned that a child may be the victim of any type of abuse or neglect, you must call the Division for Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) Central Intake Unit at: Telephone: (800) 894-5533 – 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday – Friday
- Call your local police department with urgent child abuse or neglect reports during DCYF non-work hours (between 4:30 PM and 8:00 AM or on weekends and holidays).
Proof of abuse and neglect is not required to make a report.
Sex Abuse Laws
New Hampshire we have several different laws addressing the issue of sexual abuse.
- In New Hampshire the age of sexual consent is 16 years old.
- Statutory rape is when a person of any age engages in sexual conduct with a person under the age of 16. It is a crime, even if both parties want it to happen.
- Acquaintance assault is sexual abuse perpetrated by someone the victim knows.
- More than 90% of sexual assaults fall into this category.
- This includes when the perpetrator is a family member.
- Stranger assaults are when a person is forced to participate in sexual acts with a person they do not know.